All About Plaid

Happy Wednesday everyone!

IMG_7583

Well it is hard to believe it, but it is already December!  There is just 23 days till Christmas and that means we will all be fitting in a wide array of holiday parties and celebrations.  To celebrate my first holiday season as a blogger, I had to do a holiday look book for my loyal readers.  This is the first instalment in this five part series.

IMG_7647

Christmas is my favourite holiday so I really enjoyed putting this look book together.  I hope you enjoy it too.

IMG_7667

When I first came across this dress and coat, I immediately thought of Christmas.  The bold plaid pattern, a must have trend for right now, in a rich shade of red right down to the sparkle in the single button on the coat.  I could imagine myself in my home town of Sault Ste Marie on a day with a light snow fall and the air crisp and my cheeks rosy.  I like to get dressed up on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day so this would definitely be the look I would choose to celebrate with family and friends.

IMG_7593

The dress and coat are from Torrid’s Retro Chic collection.  My personal style tends to be a little bit on the retro side because I love the feminine feel of the era and the styles are perfectly suited for my body type.

IMG_7612

The dress is a classic swing style with a boat neck and wide straps that allow you to wear a bra with ease.  It has a nice V shape dip in the back and a belt to cinch you in at the waist.  It is made of a cotton blend with just the right amount of stretch in it.  I also liked that the length was just below my knee.  I am wearing the size 26.

IMG_7636

For this style of dress, this is the typical size I would wear at Torrid.  My only complaint is that the belt that comes with the dress is not big enough, I could barely get it done up and it was way too uncomfortable.  I generally find that I have this problem with the belts that come with all Torrid dresses so I have invested in some belts and I just swapped it out with one that I already had in my collection.

IMG_7658

I have been looking for a coat like this for some time.  So when I saw it I was in heaven.  Outer wear is a sore spot for me because I constantly struggle trying to find something that fits my shape.  Like blazers, if something fits my shoulders it is usually way too small in the hips and vice versa.

IMG_7589

This coat is perfect for me because it is a swing style with textured fabric and a midi length.  To create the retro look it has a 1950’s inspired shawl collar and a one button rhinestone closure.  But the super special feature of this dress is the ultra modern plaid lining.

IMG_7621

It’s like a present.  The coat looks great on the outside when done up but then you open it and bam – you are hit with the bold plaid print, a totally fun and unexpected surprise.  It is also a decent weight and made of a polyester/wool blend, definitely enough to keep you warm and toasty on a cold day.  And I appreciate the quality and detail for a great regular price of only $98.50 US.

IMG_7608

The Retro Chic collection is a regular feature for Torrid but I have to worn you, if you like something buy it!  Theses pieces always sell out quickly.  I actually bought these back in September.  But I have provided you with some great alternatives.

IMG_7591

I decided to pair this look with some simple accessories.  My necklace and earrings are actually from India.  I bought them on eBay a while ago when I was going to my first Indian wedding.  I have to say that eBay is a great place to find unique accessories.  When I was looking for this set, there were 1,000’s of options to choose from and the prices are very reasonable.

IMG_7632

And the great thing about Indian jewellery is that the necklaces are adjustable with a string at the back.  That allows me to make it long or short depending on what I am wearing.  I liked the contrast that the pop of green provided.

IMG_7634

I then added my go to gold flats (I don’t know what I did before I found these!) and a red patent leather clutch.  Finally I tried something new and wore this crochet hat in red or as we call it up here in Canada, a toque!  It was that extra special piece that brought my snow filled vision to life.

IMG_7681

I like to think of this as my “I’m so excited I just saw all the presents under the tree on Christmas morning look”.  It is a classic and timeless look that brings back happy memories of Christmases past.

IMG_7646

This look book was shot by my gal Stef of SassyPlus.  I can’t thank her enough for bringing my vision to life.

Dress by TORRID | Coat by TORRID (sold out) | Dress alternative by TORRID | Knit Hat by LANE BRYANT | Coat alternative by ELOQUII | Flats by LANE BRYANT | Clutch alternative |

3 Comments
  1. robbie 2 years ago

Love the dress and the coat. I’m a plaid fan too.

2. Rockford Peachy 2 years ago

LOVE this look! I am a sucker for reds and plaids. And I’m totally envious of how well you pull off that hat (me and hats aren’t friends, hehe).

• Profile photo of emilygillis
      emilygillis 2 years ago

Thank you! LOL…I never wear hats and I was super nervous to put this on. I have to admit I am still getting used to it!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

IMG_7632

IMG_7634

IMG_7681

IMG_7646

3 Comments
  1. robbie 2 years ago

Love the dress and the coat. I’m a plaid fan too.

2. Rockford Peachy 2 years ago

• Profile photo of emilygillis
      emilygillis 2 years ago

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Me

I want to hear from you -- get in touch!

Sending